A massive fire broke out at Agartala Battala bazar, considered to be one of the biggest after Maharajganj Bazar, on Sunday midnight and incurred hefty loss for the businessman.
The incident took place after the fire broke out to gut more than half of the vegetable shops in the bazar including grocery shops. According to the distressed local businessmen, who rushed to the spot on Sunday mid-night said that the fire triggered from a short circuit and gutted the entire shed of the vegetable market including at least five grocery shops.
Alarmed by the incident, the fire engine crews rushed to the spot and brought the fire under control on Monday dawn hours.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Dr Manik Saha accompanied by the Mayor of Agartala Municipal Corporation (AMC) Dipak Majumder and officials inspected the spot and took stock of the situation. The Chief Minister interacted with the local businessmen and said that the fire incurred over Rs.1.5 crore loss for the businessman as maximum shops were gutted due to the devastating fire.
The Chief Minister also assured of possible assistance from the government and directed the officials to go for a thorough access of the losses incurred by the businessman. The incident sparked resentment among the locals and businessmen.